Gardening as Therapy (or what saves me from depression)

 I have realised that having a hobby or something pleasant to do can bring much benefits to health and spirit. Although in past, before having our kids I had lots of available time, I did not really pay any attention to my hobbies and things that made me happy. I was just doing some physical activity, regularly (which I should probably restart, by the way) and then work, work work on the holy land of a corporation. I was mainly focused on my job, what to do next to grow in career and that was a complete waste of time, which to my shame I only realised years later.

So, doing what I love and loving what I do is what keeps me going. Is what gives me energy and power to give it back to my family. How can I care for them if I don't take care of myself a little, also? Gardening is one of my favourite ways to spend time. Nothing brings more relaxation than seeing how seeds germinate in time, wondering what will they bring to the surface. We are blessed with a small garden and make the most of it. The dirt itself is not at all suitable for growing but in time we learn how to use stratification and make some parts of it a little fertile. We grow mostly flowers, but we also experimented with strawberries, potato, cucumber, tomato, onions and parsley. This year we are following and planning the seeds, hoping for the best. Growing own food  is a dream for me, so I try with pots and small places, whatever I have, I use it. I grew in countryside, so I know a little about gardening and growing most of the vegetables and some fruits. But I also learn each day. After the evening ends, 22,00 - 22,40 is my time when I read about seeds, growing, making compost and all useful gardening ideas out there. 

Boys also love out time spent at the garden, is a good activity and I let them choose their seeds, prepare pots and sow or plant new ones. Is my special time at the garden which I mostly enjoy while alone, when they are in school or kindergarten or asleep but is also our special time together. Is amazing how even a small backyard can be turned and made into your small heaven, with lots of possibilities and dreams.

We are currently planting the baby onions, sowing some spring flower seeds and the peppers, onions, some potatoes. We even try to germinate blueberry seeds. The aim is to learn, we will not feed our family from this small batch, we just experiment until we will have a real garden, a dream of mine for a long time now. Maybe, when that garden comes I will be prepared for it. I am dreaming and planning it in my mind for a while, so I can see it grow, even if in my dreams. Or in a small pot, here on the window or at the corners of our small backyard which mostly serves as a playground for the boys, rather than real gardening. But, we manage, we try to make it work for everyone. 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Put Back On the IKEA Mattress Cover

List of English Speaking Doctors in Brno

How to Apply for a VZP Refund - Easy Tutorial by ExpatMom