Our Experience with 1st grade, Homework as Expats

During the last weeks and months we work a lot on the homework with our 1st grader.

In case there is interest, I will be posting a short overview of how we deal with the tasks and why in my case is a struggle. As we progress, these might become monthly or weekly posts. I also hope to keep the memory of our homework activities for us but for the other two kids who will need it when the time comes.

Traveling with your kid through primary schools seems to be fun, when you cannot fluently speak the local language. I never imagined the hard part, only the bright and funny moments were flying through my imagination. Of course, when we hear him read to us and do the math, we are happy and overwhelmed with pride like any other parent is. But, there are also hard moments especially at the beginning.

The first day of school here in Czech Republic seems to me a little different than in our home country. In our country people tend to put too much emotion, or show too much sentiment and crying even at this special moment (ok, I cried, also, I admit). People here are more relaxed and I am still learning also how to do that. A very pleasant, nice welcome ceremony to the 1st graders, a few discreet photos and that's it. Is a very nice and civilised way, in my opinion to start the school year. Our kid chose to sit in the same desk position where I used to sit as a child, that was another instance when I realised how similar he is to me in everything. Interesting.  Children here receive all materials and even a few accessories which was such a nice surprise for both us as parents and the child. So everything seems to be aligned towards making kids love school. Children also receive a morning snack, a lunch and another snack. We give ours his own snack as he eats a strict gluten free diet. Not all schools seems to offer a gluten free lunch which is a little worrying. But, again in my country kids don't get any lunch at all (why no one notices that?). Anyways, we are happy so far with everything and note that if you need special diet you must give a doctor recommendation at school. 



Big feelings and very excited about the school year start, we tried to adapt and make everything possible so that our son learns to love school and most importantly, love his peer and make friends. The reason why we decide to stay in same neighbourhood for like 7 plus years is this - small house, big garden, happy kids and good kindergartens/schools where kids make connections and spend time outdoors. About the benefits of living in a small house I wrote here

I cannot write about school without thinking about the teachers, who are great humans and have a deep respect and admiration for them. Without their help, we could not do it. I know some people choose homeschooling and that is fine, each knows what is better for them. In our case, we need the human interaction and I could not possibly cover everything that the traditional school curriculum offered. There is always space for improvement and for sure educational systems will evolve in future. For now, we are happy with we have.

What about the homework? I must say that is quite an easy experience and pleasant but at times it can be hard, for me. I am not talking about other expats, for me is harder because I have a problem in asking for help and making good connections with English speaking parents. Others have no problem with that, but I do and I am working hard to be better at asking for help.

As a non Czech speaking person, I am using a phone or tablet at all meetings, at homework to translate everything. The hardest os when I must do logopedic exercises at home as non czech speaker so I have no idea if what I do is good or not. We will see probably as they progress with the speech therapy.

I now understand what a czech friend told me - that they cannot imagine how they could do homeowrk with their kids without knowing the language...AT that time I had some impression that I will learn it by the time they start school and still here I am, struggling with it. I tried, but I could not learn it. But will continue trying. So not example and not an inspiration for anyone, just a human trying to walk through kids primary school without much troubles.

SO, google translate is my best friend and we made a habit to take time during homework so nothing else distract us. I am blessed and lucky our son is smart and talks good Czech. He tells me everything and so we sing: 'together we can do it, we are a team. He really does great job and handles the tasks well. I never tried to stress or make him feel bad, we encourage the efforts, not the result. If he is happy with the results, fine. If he wishes better results, he must work harder. But is up to him, we only praise the efforts, not the outcome. As I was a straight A student and always under pressure, I really chose to not do this to our kids, this is not good or safe emotionally. So we encourage them to learn good the stuff they like and enjoy and just learn the minimum required in the rest of the disciplines so they have a comfortable life. Also, going every day to school must be from start clearly explained - we must do it because we need and education, for a good life and so on.

As now is time to start a new homework with our first, I close this article with a few photos and hope to see you here next time.


We have a small corner in the kitchen were our son can read to me while cooking, or cleaning.  Not sure if this good, but we only have this amount of hours and energy each day and so we adapt to it:



Our elder practice his reading:

Our younger boys play while I finish this post:


Thank you!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Put Back On the IKEA Mattress Cover

List of English Speaking Doctors in Brno

How to Apply for a VZP Refund - Easy Tutorial by ExpatMom